WHAT IS THE INTERVENTION & REFERRAL SERVICES (I&RS) COMMITTEE?
The Intervention and Referral Services Committee (I&RS) is a team of professionals within the school who come together to problem solve and network. When a teacher has a concern about a student, the committee convenes and develops an action plan. Concerns that are presented vary, and may involve academic, behavioral, social, or emotional functioning. They may also be health-related. The core group of the I&RS team consists of the guidance counselor, referring teacher, intervention teacher, and the Child Study Team case manager. Other staff members are invited, as needed. The goal of the committee is to help teachers develop interventions to improve student behavior and/or academic achievement.
HOW IS A STUDENT REFERRED?
· If a teacher has a concern about a student, the teacher may request an I&RS meeting to be held. I&RS meetings are held on a regular basis.
· Staff members fill out a, “Request for Intervention and Referral Services” form, and submit it to the guidance counselor. Teachers document the frequency, duration, and outcome of each intervention already tried.
· The guidance counselor sets up all I&RS Committee meetings. Parents are informed of the meeting by the referring teacher.
WHAT ARE SOME STRATEGIES THAT MAY BE RECOMMENDED BY THE I&RS COMMITTEE?
· Behavior modification charts/motivators
· Study carrels and quiet areas to limit distractions
· Preferential seating
· Differentiate assignments
· Use of check lists
· Consultation with school nurse
· Observation and feedback provided by the occupational therapist
· Observation and feedback provided by the school psychologist or school counselor
· Social skills counseling with school counselor
· Consultation with Intervention services
· Small group instruction
· Visual signal for the student to gain assistance
SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING I&RS:
At the meeting, interventions are developed and written down on the I&RS Plan of Action form. A copy of this action plan is given to the parents and all involved staff members. Follow- up I&RS meetings are scheduled, as needed.